Monday, April 1, 2013

New Craze: Overnight Oats

Apparently everyone is on this bandwagon of overnight oats. I heard about it from my friend, +Penny Nabozniak. She's been whipping up containers of these and can't say enough good things about it. She showed me a popular link, The Yummy Life, and also to just search on Pinterest. I finally decided to give it a go since I had all the ingredients conveniently in my house already! As you have likely learned by now, I'm not a huge follower of recipes and this might be the contributing factor to why I skim recipes. This time was no different! I dug out some old mason jars and attempted to follow the recipe from The Yummy Life: 





Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon honey, optional (or substitute any preferred sweetener)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce, or enough to fill jar

What my recipe ended up looking like:

Ingredients
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats (one oatmeal serving is typically 1/3 cup)
  • skim milk (enough to make the whole mixture a soggy cereal consistency)
  • 2 heaping spoonfuls of greek yogurt (if you use plain, you may need some sweetner)
  • 1 tbsp dried chia seeds (I like the crunch)
  • small handful of almonds for extra protein
  • whatever other flavorings you'd like to try

Some flavors I've made so far: 
- a spoonful of apple jelly, dash of cinnamon, toasted sesame seeds
- frozen blueberries and bananas with honey Greek yogurt
- fresh strawberries and banana with honey Greek yogurt

I've learned that more milk is better than less milk for me. I'd much prefer a runnier porridge consistency then the solid gelatinous chunk I found the first morning I made it. I think the recipe said she left her non-fresh fruit ones for up to 3 nights and yup, my apple cinnamon one had no issues when I ate it on the 3rd morning. The fresh strawberry banana one was starting to get iffy by the 2nd morning. This is way better than eating plain yogurt and I love how you can prep a few days worth at once. We pack this for our late morning snack since Jamie and I are always missing our lunch and we've even packed it this past weekend as an after swimming snack.  

Have you tried this before? If not, let me know if you do up trying it. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have not tried overnight oats before... do you just mix all the ingredients in a jar and seal it overnight in the refrigerator?

Sandy said...

@justin- you sure do! If there's no fresh fruit in it, it keeps longer.